Gift Ideas For Women aged over 60 and 70
Believe this: no female aged over 60 and 70 wants to receive a tin of biscuits. Her body may be surrendering to gravity and age, but her spirit still soars. That old idea that you can't learn anything new after the age of 40 has long been debunked. If she has a computer and someone has the patience to give her a few tutorials even the most unsophisticated woman will be able to talk to her family using Skype, send emails, and make a wish list at todayiwish.com. She still dreams.
'Things that money can't buy' are becoming more significant. Activities change. Keeping up with the latest fashion loses its importance. As women retire from paid employment they seek stimulation in socialising with family and friends, in new hobbies, in travel and in health giving exercise routines. They have the time to enjoy a variety of entertainments.
Gift Suggestions for a Woman Aged 60 to 70
Meeting with friends for a celebratory morning tea, drinks at their Club, dinner with the family, pizza with grandchildren in the park, picnic at the beach, lunch in the countryside: all wonderful gift ideas.
- Card Games:
- Sport: Tennis, croquet, bowls, golf are good social contact sports. They require balls, a bag for carrying equipment, hat, comfortable shoes and different sorts of socks. Not to mention golf clubs, a caddy, tennis racquet and score cards.
- Keeping in touch: Mobile phone, computer, stationery, photo frame /photograph, corkboard and pins for family photos and cards.
- Walking: Comfortable shorts, jeans or capri length pants, fleecy top, sporty T-shirt, trainers and thick socks. Keeping toenails trimmed is important so a pedicure would be nice.
- Gym (stretchy shorts/singlet/T-shirt, gym membership), Yoga (classes, mat), Tai Chi (comfortable stretchy pants, t-shirt), swimming (season pass to pool).
- Beach: If she lives close to the sea she may enjoy doing her walking/stretches on the sand. Help her do it in style with sunglasses (? prescription), sunhat, sarong, swimsuit, spray tan, spray sunscreen, crocs or flip flops. If the beach has shingles she will need sturdy footwear.
Health and Beauty:
- Painting and Calligraphy: Acrylic, oil or watercolour paints (check wist
list for colour numbers and brand, artist quality or student quality),
Brushes, Pencils, Pastels, inks, calligraphy pens and brushes,
watercolour paper, canvas, linen, box for paints, easel, Satchel
for carrying sketches. The cost of paints and brushes may seem steep,
however most artists can't get enough materials to keep up with their
creative impulses, so art materials make great gifts.
- Cross stitch, embroidery, patchwork: Cottons, wools, cloth as per her wish list. Embroidery scissors. Frame. Patterns should only be given if asked for specifically. If she wants ideas and has not made a wish list try giving her subscription to a magazine that caters for her craft.
- Pottery: A sturdy apron, hand cream, clay, pigments.
- Scrapbook: Scrapbook, decorative paper, stickers, glue, sharp scissors, thick board for cutting out shapes, guillotine, and copies of old photos that she may find useful.
- Knitting, crochet and lace making: Wools, cottons, silks, needles, hooks, soft bag with compartments for keeping it all together.
- Weaving and rag rug making: Wools, cottons, frame.
Stylish casual sweater, T-shirt, jeans, track pants, skirt, Twin set, jacket, coat, nightdress, bath robe, slippers, crocs, and boots.
- Moisturisers become more important: Skin loses its natural oils. A great idea is to go on an outing to her local cosmetic shop and ask the consultant there advise her on the sort of makeup that would best suit her. She can then put it on her wish list! Perfume, lipstick, nail lacquer are very popular.
- Hair becomes fragile: A good hair cut, professional colouring and even a new style, are all excellent presents. A scarf, knitted cap or new hat also frames the face nicely.
- Accessories: Jewellery (earrings, ring, necklace, bracelet, bangle, broach, scarf ring, watch), purse, wallet, handbag, belt, scarf, pash mina.
- Protective clothing: Thermal underwear, a thick woollen coat or jacket, warm boots, ugg boots, raincoat will keep the chill out.
- Appliances: Curling wand, hair straightener, heated curlers, hair dryer, and electric blanket.
Cabin bag on wheels, suitcase, tickets, holiday, camera.
This may change with time: few 70 year olds would confidently cater a party on their
own. Bringing over a casserole or volunteering to do the dessert will help when they
ask you over to dinner. Wine (red, white, sparkling), Case of favourite mineral water,
platter, cake plate, cake server, tea set, coffee pot, coffee cups, teaspoons, coffee
spoons, coasters, placemats, tablecloth.
- TV: New TV, DVD player, boxed set of favourite movies or television series.
- Music: CD, CD Player, Sound System, MP3 player, iPod, Tickets to concert, opera ( day time performances are popular), Sheet music if she plays piano, organ, violin, guitar.
- Drama: Tickets to a play. Watching a TV show being made. Fiction novel.
- Computer: Becoming very popular in this age group. Not just a way to keep in touch but a source of entertainment (DVD, health information, research). Swivel adjustable office chair, computer desk, mouse pad, laptop, head phones, stereo speakers.
- Study: This may no longer be a way to a better job but it's a great fun and a way to keep the brain in good shape. Text books, Course fees.
Yard cart, secateurs, spade, fork, load of fertilizer, load of mulch, someone to mow,
trim and weed, compost bin, hand tools (hand fork, digger, weeder), gloves, pad for
kneeling on), plants (check wist list). Containers that 'self water' are useful.
Decorative metal shelves to place pot plants at waist height are both practical and
stylish. Hooks or a shelf to keep tools neatly off the floor are a good idea.
Find more Gift Ideas for Females
Today I Wish provides gift ideas for women of all ages. For more helpful present suggestions, try some of our other
pages listed below.
Back to Gift Ideas
What age group is she?
Get them what they want this year
Ask them to Make a Wish List
Only at Today I Wish
Select the age of the girl you are looking for above, proceed to our gift ideas home page
or share your own ideas for unique presents with the Today I Wish community below.
Here are some ideas others shared with us
In a tight economy the most precious gift is time so I'm giving the gift of organizing my parents photos, cleaning closets, cabinets and organizing their important papers.
Mike Maynard - England
If you have a digital camera, photograph there house and then digitally alter it; crop anything off you don't want for example. Then print and frame it and it makes a good personalised present.
audience seat at masterchef show. celebrity chef cooking class
shame on you n/a :-(
Subscription to an Art Gallery. You get invited to previews and free entry to exhibitions.
Gift Cards to eat out
mixbook.com makes really nice scrapbooks for you. i'm also making a food gift basket of homemade things for my mama this year.. orange marmalade, loaf of bread, sausage balls, and a few other doo-dads. happy mothers day!
Take all the old pictures to the camera store and they will put them on a cd . Hundreds of photos go on one cd! Very inexpensive too!! Pass out copies to your Siblings.. Makes for a fun night too!
My mom is 84, and we were just talking about her day...She told me she was sleeping in gloves due to her arthritis... So I decided to take a pair of cute and fluffy socks and cut of the toes so her hand will fit thru it and decoratied them with cute ribbons and rhinestones, they are so cute and when she looks at her hands now she thinks of me, not her arthritis... .... Just thought I would share!!
My mum lives interstate and loves to fly over and catch up with us and the grandkids, so airline travel vouchers are a great gift.
My Nanas birthday is the 18th. Shes turning 72 but I don't really know of anything she likes. As far as I know she doesnt do anything. Never goes anywhere, never buys anything, I think she just watches her grandchildren that live with her. I dont know if I were to get her like a gift card for a resturant or spa that she would even leave her house.
How about you making her favorite meal or casserole and bringing it to her with a couple of pretty pot holders for her to keep. I would love it if my grandchild did that for me.
How about something from Red Letter Experiences. They have plenty to cater for, and you could go with her, have a day out together filled with love, laughter and you'll be doing something new as well.
Grocery store gift cards.
Essential oil infuser. My Aunt is 92. The lavender helps her sleep and cold and flu season put a couple drops of the thieves essential oil. She loves it.
Hi Kara, I've had success with these gifts to female family and friends, ages 65-95:
1) I give a mani/pedi. I wear put on two pairs of reading glasses to do a nice, neat job. I let them choose a fun color! I have given them handmade gift certificates for these! This gift never fails!
2) To my mom and grandma, I offer amateur but careful, caring, body massages. This is a good gift to offer on a handmade gift certificate, too. I have looked at a few articles, and taken a few notes, but don't worry about Perfection. I use almond oil and nice music. I give choices so they feel safe. They can get their shoulders, feet, hands or arms massaged. Or all of the above. They have the option to sit in a chair or lie on the floor with a blanket. They can remove their bra and put on a big, loose t-shirt. Or not. Women who are afraid to disrobe with a professional will let their trusted daughter/granddaughter give them this therapeutic experience.
Back to Gift Ideas
Copyright 2007-2016 TodayIWish.com. All Rights Reserved. Today I Wish is an online wish list maker and gift giving community.